Advanced search

Jura Impressa X9 - Stuck on Machine Heating Up

Impressa X9 is Stuck on Machine Heating

Gast_Jason

May 21, 2021 07:12 pm

Unregistered

Hi There.

My Jura Impressa X9 is Stuck on "Machine Heating Up" stage. It was working ok until yesterday.

I have done some investigation today, and I can confirm that that the hot water boiler is getting hot, and also that the temperature sensor for the hot water boiler is responding as I would expect (high resistance cold, low resistance hot). I could not see any obvious problems inside the machine.

What other issues could cause the Jura to stick on that phase of startup ?

I note that the Steam boiler is not heating up, but I guess that is normal until you actually call for steam.

If anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong I would be very happy !. I am on day #1 of no coffee .. !

Gast_Jason

June 27, 2021 01:45 pm

Unregistered

For anyone arriving here with the same issue, I have a solution.

First some background - one day the machine would not pass heating up. The day before it had worked. Asking my partner, the only thing she could add was that the evening before, the machine had done something odd - suddenly there was a massive rush of steam from the nozzle (this will all make sense later).

With no prior experience of troubleshooting these machines, I was a bit stuck. I was focussed on the main water boiler since I never use steam. I checked its resistance, and I even checked that the thermal sensort on the water boiler was responding to temperature change. The main water boiler heated up OK. The steam boiler was cold but I assumed this was correct since there was no call for steam.

I googled around and someone suggested that it could be a bad flow sensor - so I bought one in readiness (this was irrelevant btw).

Eventually I found these 2 posts:
Post 1
and
Post 2

These eventually led to the solution.

The clue of the sudden steam resounded with the post mentioning the thermal fuse - it sounded like the steam boiler had overheated and the thermal fuse did its job. Also, the question of why it overheated ??? The failed triac in the post seemed like a good explanation so I bought some thermal fuses and a triac off ebay (just a few pounds all in), and I got back to work.

After loosening the RED wire thermal fuse (incoming power) on the steam boiler, I tested it and no question - the fuse had burned. I decided to just replace that and see what happened next - maybe it would blow again and I would need to move onto the Triac.
However, whilst I was messing around with the Steam Boiler, I noticed that the Thermal Sensor for the steam bouler (the one with 2 very thin blue wires) was just floating around in thin air - the little (carbon ?) block at the end of the sensor had 'detached' from the screw-on terminal which binds it to the steam boiler.

This seemed to make sense - the thermal sensor 'fell off' and then the steam boiler kept heating - because the thermal sensor didnt heat up to shut off, and then finally the thermal safety fuse did its job properly and save us from a complete physical meltdown.

Although I would ideally like to replace the thermal sensor, I didn't have one, and I tried just 'shoving' the carbon block back into the metal terminal.

Then I fired up the machine, and to my delight it works !!!!

I had been almost ready to abandon this super expensive machine and buy a new one, but for only a few pounds in parts, and thanks to the Australian coffee folks, my trusty machine is back to live another day.

The lesson is that these machines can be fixed - but having a circuit diagram or some other info would have really helped out. I think Jura should publish such things for discontinued machines, to avoid the potential fate of this one, which could have been landfill.

Thanks again to Outwest Coffee Machines Website.

gast_jason

June 27, 2021 01:47 pm

Unregistered

The URLs mentioned above are:

https://outwestcoffee.com.au/index.php/2019/02/18/jura-x9-error-4-resolved/

https://outwestcoffee.com.au/index.php/2020/10/21/jura-x9-heaing-up-error-by-guest-technician-graeme/

January 26, 2023 05:02 am

Unregistered

QUOTE (Gast_Jason @ June 27, 2021 01:45 pm)
For anyone arriving here with the same issue, I have a solution.

First some background - one day the machine would not pass heating up. The day before it had worked. Asking my partner, the only thing she could add was that the evening before, the machine had done something odd - suddenly there was a massive rush of steam from the nozzle (this will all make sense later).

With no prior experience of troubleshooting these machines, I was a bit stuck. I was focussed on the main water boiler since I never use steam. I checked its resistance, and I even checked that the thermal sensort on the water boiler was responding to temperature change. The main water boiler heated up OK. The steam boiler was cold but I assumed this was correct since there was no call for steam.

I googled around and someone suggested that it could be a bad flow sensor - so I bought one in readiness (this was irrelevant btw).

Eventually I found these 2 posts:
Post 1
and
Post 2

These eventually led to the solution.

The clue of the sudden steam resounded with the post mentioning the thermal fuse - it sounded like the steam boiler had overheated and the thermal fuse did its job. Also, the question of why it overheated ??? The failed triac in the post seemed like a good explanation so I bought some thermal fuses and a triac off ebay (just a few pounds all in), and I got back to work.

After loosening the RED wire thermal fuse (incoming power) on the steam boiler, I tested it and no question - the fuse had burned. I decided to just replace that and see what happened next - maybe it would blow again and I would need to move onto the Triac.
However, whilst I was messing around with the Steam Boiler, I noticed that the Thermal Sensor for the steam bouler (the one with 2 very thin blue wires) was just floating around in thin air - the little (carbon ?) block at the end of the sensor had 'detached' from the screw-on terminal which binds it to the steam boiler.

This seemed to make sense - the thermal sensor 'fell off' and then the steam boiler kept heating - because the thermal sensor didnt heat up to shut off, and then finally the thermal safety fuse did its job properly and save us from a complete physical meltdown.

Although I would ideally like to replace the thermal sensor, I didn't have one, and I tried just 'shoving' the carbon block back into the metal terminal.

Then I fired up the machine, and to my delight it works !!!!

I had been almost ready to abandon this super expensive machine and buy a new one, but for only a few pounds in parts, and thanks to the Australian coffee folks, my trusty machine is back to live another day.

The lesson is that these machines can be fixed - but having a circuit diagram or some other info would have really helped out. I think Jura should publish such things for discontinued machines, to avoid the potential fate of this one, which could have been landfill.

Thanks again to Outwest Coffee Machines Website.

Hello …. What part did you exactly need to fix this ? .. thank you