Melitta Caffeo CI E970 - Pomace watery-muddy

Fieser-Kardinal

March 31, 2021 07:44 pm

Coffee lover

Group: Mitglieder

Member No.: 4511

Hello forum users,

I need some advice from you guys.

Our Caffeo CI has meanwhile 28248 covers on the first brew group. Unfortunately, recently very wet pomace collects increasingly in the pomace container, is watery-muddy. Also, much of the pomace sticks to the brown ejector rail of the brew group, so that here also some accumulates / dries, as well as pomace sticks to the stamp, where the sieve is. The cup is also felt no longer so full. At the pomace slider (which transports the pomace into the container) you can also see meanwhile quite wear marks, probably due to the running time. The drain valve is about 6 months old. The lip seal is still intact but a bit older (February 2019).

What I have seen is that when the machine is turned off, it flushes into the grounds container when the brew group returns to the home position. This is only a small amount though, I would say half a shot glass by feel. However, this seems to me to be normal.

When drawing, water only runs out of the expansion chamber into the drip tray when the brew is done and the pressure is released. During the draw, there is no water leakage anywhere.

The pucks themselves are wet and falling apart, almost as if there is not enough ground coffee in them or they were not ground fine enough. The bean quantity is set to 2 of 4 and 120ml of water, which is how my wife drinks the coffee crema. I myself drink on 3 of 4 beans with the same amount of water. The grind is on 2 out of 5, so it's already quite fine.

Is this due for a new brew group or can this brew group be repaired?

The coffee itself is digestible, not bitter / sour or soapy, with nice crema.

Thanks in advance for your reply
,Mike

Attached Image

--------------------
Dies ist eine Signatur!

Schlawi

March 31, 2021 08:59 pm

Expert

Member No.: 14628

Has the grinder ever been cleaned and also the grinding cone or grinding ring replaced?

Fieser-Kardinal

March 31, 2021 09:03 pm

Coffee lover

When fully disassembling to replace the innards I have always vacuumed the grinder with. But nothing has been exchanged here yet.

--------------------
Dies ist eine Signatur!

Schlawi

March 31, 2021 09:24 pm

Expert

I would only change the grinding ring.
https://www.juraprofi.de/Melitta-Ersatzteile/Mahlwerk/Mahlring-zu-Melitta-Caffeo-Mahlwerk::12265.html

There are markings on the grinder. Adjust to the again. Then it should fit again.
The second are V5 grinding rings. The grind more powder, are also harder to adjust.

Fieser-Kardinal

March 31, 2021 09:28 pm

Coffee lover

Do I need anything else besides the grinding ring, like this spring + metal ball? Or are these from the current grinder usually reusable?

https://www.juraprofi.de/Melitta-Ersatzteile/Mahlwerk/Feder-und-Kugel-klein-fuer-das-Melitta-Mahlwerk::14385.html

--------------------
Dies ist eine Signatur!

Schlawi

April 01, 2021 05:40 am

Expert

No, you can take the old ones. The cone you can also use again. You just have to be careful that you lose nothing when installing and removing.
I don't know what's already been done. Maybe some hose seals. And the outlet valve will also leak with time if you are already ordering.
https://www.juraprofi.de/Melitta-Ersatzteile/Ventile-und-Schalter/Auslaufventil-fuer-Melitta-Kaffeevollautomat::16390.html

Fieser-Kardinal

April 01, 2021 11:10 am

Coffee lover

Right haven't written down the whole repair history.

Drain valve was replaced in October 2020, is 6 months old. February 2019 was the "big" service, drain valve, lip seal, outlet valve, all seals in the fluid system and the seals on the inlet and outlet spigot.

Have currently looked again. The drive seems to be okay, TDC and BDC (marked on brew group) are approached normally. Also nothing is stuck inside the brew group. During the brewing process it does not run out anywhere, except into the cup. However, the puck looks rough, falling apart and wet, see pictures.

When rinsing (off & on) nothing runs out during the rinse, except into the cup. After the pressure is released, water runs out of the expansion chamber into the drip tray. Then the brew group moves back to home position and then water runs into the grounds container, see picture.

That will also be what makes the pomace then so wet-muddy. Only what can that be exactly? As I said a leak is not to be seen in the brew group. Also no hairline crack or the like, had the brew group completely disassembled. What I noticed is that the lower plunger in the lower chamber has quite a lot of play. But I think that has to be so, so that the water then comes to the flour via the side slots.

Attached Image

--------------------
Dies ist eine Signatur!

Schlawi

April 01, 2021 11:30 am

Expert

The pomace is already very coarse.
As a rule, they say the grindstones hold 10,000 cups. You now have three times that.
Would now replace the times and then look.

Fieser-Kardinal

April 08, 2021 06:52 pm

Coffee lover

Sh****e ... the first few grinds were okay and it all came out where it was supposed to. Coffee looked and tasted much better too.

The next time I drew coffee, pressure suddenly built up, unfortunately I could not react so quickly and it went BANG. The brew group burst in half. blink.gif *sigh*

Had previously but everything reassembled as before, the markings on the grinder had also matched again. I suspect that the powder was too fine and has clogged the brew group. Do I have to leave a little more air to each other here at the grinding cone / ring v5, ie set further away?

But only the two outer parts of the group are defective, they are probably not available individually? The inner workings of the brew group is still whole and tight.

--------------------
Dies ist eine Signatur!

Schlawi

April 08, 2021 08:02 pm

Expert

Why did you take the V5? Would have taken the grinding ring as written above. That would have been enough.
The V5 grind quite a lot of powder. Probably too much for you. Post a picture of the brewing unit. Still have parts here.
But in the worst case happens with a new exactly the same. That's why I wouldn't take it. The V5 build ic from time to time in a Jura S9x, Since you can adjust the grind for each cup. But in the meantime I came away from the V5, because I had more theater than that it is worth it.

Fieser-Kardinal

April 08, 2021 08:31 pm

Coffee lover

Basically I need both halves of the housing.

On one half this has been blown in two plus some parts of the piston guide broken out. The other half also has parts of the piston guide broken out.

I had therefore taken the grinding cone + ring, because after disassembly was to see that both cone and ring were virtually no longer present. Probably I have ground a few stones with. wink.gif

What just surprised me that after the assembly and adjust to the mark the coffee powder was ground much too fine. I have not adjusted anything, double checked and it reassembled correctly.

I have now turned out the distance of the grinding ring to the furthest possible, so that the ring is still held by the adjuster. Thus, the distance is even greater and you would have to test that times, as the pomace is now. For lack of brewing group only unfortunately not possible.

--------------------
Dies ist eine Signatur!

Fieser-Kardinal

April 09, 2021 01:49 am

Coffee lover

@Schlawi Have a nice gentleman from Ebay classifieds in the evening still get a defective brew group for 15 €, but the housing was intact, I have rebuilt with my inner life.

With the original new grind setting I had but again a too coarse pomace, so I have carefully felt my way grid by grid further in the direction of finer grind and have now arrived at 5 lighter detents before the original marking at the (presumed) optimum. The grinder runs well, the brew group also runs without grumbling, easily copes with 4 beans and espresso pucks now look really good in my opinion. Are compact, firm and do not fall apart. The pucks for 3, 2 and 1 beans also look good in my opinion. Therefore, for now I do not dare to go further in the direction of finer with the grind, do not want to clog the brew group again.

Here's another picture of the espresso puck, 4 beans, 50ml water. What do you think?

Attached Image

--------------------
Dies ist eine Signatur!

Schlawi

April 09, 2021 06:59 am

Expert

The puck looks so good. Grind you can see bad. If it runs and you are satisfied then let it so. The V5 are quite sensitive when adjusting.
Kannst yes times a click finer and try.

Fieser-Kardinal

April 09, 2021 02:23 pm

Coffee lover

Attached is a picture of the pomace on grind level 2. Are also nice and firm and look like pucks again. Think I'll leave the setting as it is now. The Crema coffee tastes now finally again.

Attached Image

--------------------
Dies ist eine Signatur!

Schlawi

April 09, 2021 03:21 pm

Expert

If you're happy and the coffee tastes good, it's all good.