Advanced search

QM 05000A - Pomace wet, flow too slow...

pfandtasse   

June 03, 2011 02:34 pm

Coffee drinker

Group: Mitglieder

Member No.: 8680

EDIT: "Run too slow. " in heading is wrong, should mean "too fast". :|

Hello together,
since short I am proud (?) owner of a Quickmill 05000A. Used the device from Ebay, and had to find out after the purchase that the machine is >10 years than.
well. Not so nice, but it works.

I have now half disassembled it, cleaned the grinder thoroughly, and repaired one or two other trifles. (e.g. if the upper ram is always stuck on the ejector when driving down)

I don't like the following at the moment yet.
1) The pomace is always very moist when ejected. There's always a whole bunch of water coming out that screws up the inside of the machine. I'm imagining that wasn't the case before the disassembly. (but I'm not 100% sure)
Can I assemble the machine / gearbox incorrectly so that the mechanical process is no longer correct (e.g. like the camshaft of a car)? According to the view this is actually impossible with the gearbox, or?

2) The espresso always runs through in 10-15 sec, although the grinder is set to 0. Fine grinding is obviously not possible with the old discs. Is there anything you can do about it? Any other beans bring anything? So far I only have Lidl beans as a test object to play around with. (The Hochland beans are still in the cupboard...)
(I wanted to spend 35 Euro for a set of new grinding discs only after I had excluded all other possibilities...)

Glad to have all the answers.

Florian H.

July 06, 2011 09:55 pm

Coffee lover

Member No.: 2293

Hello,
congratulations on Quick Mill!!
If the marc is too moist, you have to check if the brewing group is completely filled with coffee. That should be her, or you'll have the problem with all that water.
You adjust the amount of coffee with the knob you look at when the machine is open. If there is nothing you can adjust, you must "tune" the mill, i.e. adjust so that in position "0" the grinding discs lie on top of each other. I can't find the exact instructions here in the forum right now, but Google should help. You have to move the limiting screws.
The espresso should have approx. 25 sec. throughput time. You can do this by trying around with the grinder and the amount of coffee - the finer the powder, the longer the throughput time, but then also more coffee into the brewing group so that it is full (see above).
The settings can vary with another type of coffee and you have to readjust a little again.
But that's the good thing about the Quick Mill, that you have the possibility to adjust the parameters to reach the approx. 25 sec. throughput time necessary for a good espresso.
Have fun with your QM!
Florian

pfandtasse

July 24, 2011 03:50 pm

Coffee drinker

Hello Florian, thanks for your feedback.
I know all the settings. The coffee quantity is set correctly. Grinding degree is almost as fine as possible. I've already "zeroed" the mill, too, so the scale fits.

What I've noticed is that the beans make a quite considerable difference in the processing time. Had the Espresso Rassico from http://www.hochland-kaffee.de/ in between. It ran much slower with identical settings than the cheap beans before.
And the problem with the wet marc was solved by itself.

In the meantime, I think that I need new grinding discs to get the throughput time where it should be.

Florian H.

July 28, 2011 11:32 pm

Coffee lover

Member No.: 2293

Hello,
that sounds like you can't get around changing the grinding discs after all...
Many success!
Florian

W1cht3lm@nn

July 29, 2011 04:06 am

Experienced

Member No.: 7258

35 Euro for a set of new grinding discs

Tip: www.espressoxxl.de Article number 527245

> Best to order a can of Pulycaff right away, is the best thing you can do to the QM for cleaning and unrivalled cheap compared to tablets with much better solubility.

--------------------
Quick Mill 05000 "Unique Edition", WMF Ecco

pfandtasse

August 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Coffee drinker

There you go. I just ordered new grinding discs. Let's see if's something.
Thanks to W1cht3lm@nn for the tip. The price is OK. smile.gif

shkelzen

June 23, 2016 08:37 am

Unregistered

Hello deposit cup,

I also had the problem that the upper cylinder entering the brewing group came. Strangely enough, no more. Want to know how you solved the problem if it reoccurs with me?