Advanced search

Melitta Caffeo CI: System start message

The device can no longer be operated

Gast_Daniel

January 25, 2012 07:00 pm

Unregistered

Hello,

We bought a Melitta Caffeo CI about 4 weeks ago and were very satisfied at first.

After a few days the device showed the message "System Start" after switching on but (as is normal with the first switching on) instead of preparing a tasty cafe for us. After switching off and on again, the problem was apparently solved.

Now the error has reappeared and the device no longer prepares a cafe at all. After switching on, the following happens:
- Welcome message display
- Heating message display
- System start display with Rotary Switch flashing

- When the Rotary Switch is pressed, the unit flushes with water until the tank is empty. All other buttons have no function and I can't get into the menu anymore.

At the Melitta customer hotline (0571/861900) I was advised to place the brewing group in hot water and clean the machine. Said - done and the device rewarded us with two hot espresso :-)

The next time we switched on the error was there again. A renewed cleaning of the brewing group remained without success. I contacted the hotline again where I was recommended the following procedure:
- Switch on the appliance
- Open the coffee powder compartment when "System Start" is displayed
- Close the coffee powder compartment
- The appliance should now rinse
- Repeat the procedure several times if necessary

>In my appliance it did not help because the appliance did not respond to opening and closing the coffee powder compartment in "System Start" mode. Manual flushing by pressing the Rotary Switch did not help and sucked again only the whole tank empty. But if I open the coffee powder compartment before "System Start" is displayed, the machine reacts with "Please fill in coffee powder". When closing the box, however, only "Stystem Start" is displayed again.

After another telephone call with the hotline, I will now send the device in tomorrow. The error already seems to be known. The lady on the phone told me that it is probably due to a defective pump or a defective valve.

This article is written because I could not find a report on the Internet that deals with this topic. So the error does not seem to have occurred with many users.

If anyone still has a suggestion on how to treat or avoid the problem, this can be posted for other affected people necessarily here.

Best regards
Daniel

Steuerb

August 22, 2012 10:39 am

Unregistered

Hello,

>Our machine is 6 months old and we had the same problem as described above.

Before we called the customer hotline, we first performed all the procedures described above - without success.

The lady from the customer hotline asked if we used a water filter, which is true. Remove the water tank, remove the water filter and reinsert it. Open coffee powder container, wait for second beep, make normal coffee (second button from left).
As this worked, we immediately tried a normal cup of freshly brewed coffee. Also that worked.

Ergo: it was the water filter, by the way not an original, but a cheap repro. We try this again with the original filter or leave it out.

When rinsing, the pump draws water through the system with more pressure than when brewing. Therefore, the flushing works, but not the brewing.

Hoffe, it helps one or the other.

Gruß

Your friendly control office R&R

Christiana

December 21, 2012 02:54 pm

Unregistered

Hello, I also had the problem.
Now we have brought her back to Media Markt after 3 weeks of delicious coffee, with the result that she will be sent in.
We now have another birthday to celebrate shortly before Christmas and on the 23rd.
We also used the water filter, but the original one.
Now we're here without a machine sad.gif

I'm m mad about the service at Media Markt. It's been three weeks since we bought them and didn't get them replaced. Employee said we're a week over the exchange right.
It's Christmas after all. What about the good old service and goodwill?

Well, we only have to wait when we have our machine back. The holiday will probably pull this off and the Senseo coffee is no longer the real thing. wink.gif

>I'll let you know again if you're interested.

Well Happy Holidays to all

Charly4711

March 07, 2013 11:01 am

Unregistered

Had seriously considered whether I should pass on my experiences with CI. The device is so far really - but I can not recommend it.
purchase the CI in summer 2011. We drink about 3-5 cups Latte Macciato a day and up to 3 espresso. After 2 months first failure "System Start" . After a few power-offs the unit will run again, but error message will appear 1-2 times per week.
One month later the unit has to be sent in because of the same error message, because it cannot be fixed anymore. After repair, the same error message appears for the first time after approx. 4 weeks. Then again and again 1-2 times per week, until the device had to be returned after 10 weeks. After 3 months the same again. Result: The device has been replaced. With the second device, we thought it'd get better now. Pustekkuchen. 1 time after 2 months, 2 times after 2 months and now the third time after 7 weeks. I'm curious to see what excuses there are now. Every cleaning, every decalcification always carried out. Easy Cleaning also performed after each use. No cheap beans, but premium presso beans. Summary: Possibilities of Melitta: very good. Durability: extremely bad. Melitta should save more on board salaries and invest in technology. You can't do that.

Charly4711

March 07, 2013 11:08 am

Unregistered

Of course I meant shipping the second device to Melitta. Today's the third time in six months. Exactly the same procedure as with the first machine. Error system start at the beginning 1-2 times a week, then nothing works at all anymore. Switch on the appliance, after heating up the machine breaks down in the middle of the milk run with an error in the Start system. Switch machine off, clean everything, switch on, system start flashes, press button and water runs through. At the end again system start and that was it. 2 Send in machine 6 times due to same error

harald resalg

May 08, 2013 10:44 pm

Unregistered

I had exactly the same problem as in the first post. this "system start" went on forever. until the water tank was empty.
I disassembled the machine and discovered a somewhat heavy flow meter.
after disassembling and cleaning the flow meter. now it works wonderfully again.

Gast_Gast

August 16, 2013 03:07 pm

Unregistered

Hello, there someone writes, Melitta disassembled, and flow meter cleaned, would be great if someone can describe how to open and disassemble the device the most meaningful way, ideally with pictures, or just describe, Since Melitta doesn't like to talk about such things, you can only help the brothers if you help yourself and organize with tips, tricks, repair experiences and procedures for disassembling and exchanging the machines, would be great, who can give me a description to disassemble please report
br>logo print@aol.com

ede

June 04, 2014 12:19 pm

Coffee drinker

Group: Mitglieder

Member No.: 24453

hollo alle
I can only confirm this with the flowmeter (flowmeter),
had this device just been on my table with the error described above.
was the machine not yet aware of the error, suspected of the flowmeter as a source of error and has been confirmed.
machine simply remove the screws from behind.
remove the lid screws 2x under stainless steel mesh (cup warmer).
side parts have a small opening where you have to press in a fake object to remove the lid.
the flowmeter is located on the side where the water tank is located, 2 hoses and a 3-pole plug on it, is white and round.
I hope i could help one or the other with my short description to help myself...
enjoy good coffee rolleyes.gif

Gast_Lutz

June 30, 2014 01:16 pm

Unregistered

Thank you very much for solving the problem. After two weeks vacation the machine made exactly the described problems the day before yesterday. Of course we had taken them apart completely and cleaned everything thoroughly before.
Maybe two more useful tips:
The screw heads are extremely soft at least in my series and knock out immediately if the bit does not fit properly.
Make a quick photo of the flowmeter before removing. This is especially important for the connection and the position of the hoses. I had to start all over again because I had caused a small kink during assembly.
And in this case, of course, the flowmeter did its job. rolleyes.gif

FlexiFelix

July 23, 2014 04:12 pm

Unregistered

Hey together,

after a colleague of mine also had the problem described here,

after a colleague of mine also had the problem described here,
Hoffe we have put the repair into a video without further ado.
Hoffe that helps with swapping the part!

Greß

FelxiFelix

Video: http://www.chip.de/video/Melitta-Caffeo-CI...o_71162468.html

goodhubi

October 02, 2014 12:38 pm

Coffee drinker

Member No.: 24907

moin moin !

my caffeo only shows SystemStart....
changed the FlowMeter...still SystemStart

>so called at Melitta, the problem is known there and costs 149€

> I find cheeky to fix, because it's a software error

it doesn't make any difference by the way whether I connect the flowmeter or not, I mean the electrical connections...

White someone advice, technical talent and soldering irons available...

October 05, 2014 09:06 pm

Unregistered

Today I also had the "Systemstart" endurance run,
my CI is 1 3/4 year old, always according to specification with filter insert and change,
as well as decalcified according to regulation.
Then at this systemstart endurance run simply filled in decalcifier with something higher dosage,
letting something run, let it stand for a few minutes and then the rest
until it was empty.
The problem has been solved in my case then,
after another decalcification run after program and finished.

Daniel 512

November 19, 2014 02:08 pm

Unregistered

QUOTE (Guest @ Sunday, 05.October 2014, 21:06 hrs)
Today I also had the "System start" continuous run",
my CI is 1 3/4 year old, always after default with filter insert and change,
as well as decalcified after regulation.
Then I filled this system start continuous run with decalcifier with somewhat higher dosage,
until it was empty.

Thank you biggrin.gif very horny helped me too.

Gast_Marc

January 18, 2015 03:04 pm

Unregistered

QUOTE (Guest @ Sunday, 05.October 2014, 21:06 hrs)
Today I also had the "System start" continuous run",
my CI is 1 3/4 year old, always after default with filter insert and change,
as well as decalcified after regulation.
Then I filled this system start continuous run with decalcifier with somewhat higher dosage,
until it was empty.

biggrin.gif Thank you for the tip...has gone great...THANKS biggrin.gif

cyris

February 15, 2015 04:11 pm

Coffee drinker

Member No.: 26402

Hello,
I had (shortly after warranty expiration) also the error message System Start. Everything described here I have also tried - in vain. So googled for a repair company. For 15 € flat rate for approach, fault diagnosis and KVA company Berolina Reparatur Service (Berlin) let come. "Technician" stood in front of the machine, turned it on and off a few times and said it was the heating system. I asked him how he thought of that. He: The plate is cold. I: also takes a few minutes after switching on. So he continues on/off, then notices that the plate is heating, so it's "the water pump". Me: How did you determine this now (mind you without opening the device)? He: It usually is. So pulls out a calculator and says, a pump costs 79€ + labour I would land at about 190€. But he first had to take the machine with him and if "there are any little things left" then I would of course be informed. I declined with thanks.
So googled and read from error source "Flowmeter". This then removed and cleaned. No success. The technician was probably right with his "razor sharp" diagnosis of the water pump. But I ordered them myself on the net for 35 €, plus a new flowmeter (12,50€). Both exchanged by yourself, duration: 30 minutes. Machine is now running round purring like on the first day biggrin.gif
Bin glad that I didn't give the device blind to the technician. I'd have had to pay 200. You should not be afraid to examine the device yourself. The exchange of the two parts was very easy with various instructions/videos on the net.
I hope this helps everyone with this error message.
Many greetings

Seite 123