Advanced search

Delonghi ESAM 6900.M General malfunction

struhs

August 05, 2023 02:28 pm

Coffee drinker

Group: Mitglieder

Member No.: 67791

Hello,

I have now already searched several forums, but do not find the error. In the history I have this ESAM PrimaDonna and a 6600 already almost all components exchanged or revised, seals replaced also.

After the KVA only dropwise to no more coffee, I have
- the thermoblock renewed (resistors fit: 42 Ohm, thermal fuse have continuity, thermosensor approx. 110kOhm) and
- the upper brewing piston revised + plastic sieve renewed
- the brewing group revised and the sieve renewed
- the pump including pressure relief valve renewed

Then I turned on the KVA and forgot to attach the hose to the water tank ... ?? ... well some water ran into the machine on the floor. Soaked up/removed the water, attached the hose: Machine was running and I could finally draw coffee normally again (crema, cappuchino & latte macchiato).

But after 4 draws, the KVA complained about a pulp container not being inserted, even though it was inside. The brew group was still slightly up as usual, so you couldn't take it out. Machine could only be turned off via rear on/off, standby via left on/off button not possible (beeping and relay clacking could be heard).

My guess was that the switch/button at the bottom had gotten water on it and no longer worked.

Turned back on after drying with no pulp. Machine objected to missing pulp, pushed in and the KVA no longer objected to missing pulp, but:
The display now showed the spinning hourglass "Please wait" for a very long time. One heard a relay clacking once, but the brew group/drive did not move. No humming or similar was heard. After some time the display changed to the warning triangle with "General malfunction". Switching off via left on/off button not possible to get into standby.

Hm,
- to be on the safe side I ordered a new push button/switch and installed it (I measured the old push button with a multimeter and it works according to my understanding) and
- at the same time I renewed the housing in front of the display, because unfortunately all mounting straps broke in the years, and
- ordered and installed a new power board, in case the old one got one by the defective switch/button (but there is nothing to see on the old board, no traces of smoke/soot or externally defective looking components, TY4, TY2 & TY7 are visually "intact", but I'm not an expert in board diagnostics)

Well, what can I say... same error as before the exchange: machine first shows the Delonghi splash screen then you hear a relay clacking, the display changes to the rotating hourglass with "Please were", brew group / drive sicht not move and then changes to "General malfunction". Switching off in standby not possible. on/off button on the left produces only a relay clacking and nothing else.

I could not consequently into the service menu, whereby my hand is also almost too small, in order to press the three keys and open the service flap at the same time...

What else did I do:
- Various resistances/passes measured, according to instructions of Mr. Potztave fits it all.
- Actuator manually moved down from its still operating position (slightly upwards) so that I could remove it
- Motor has no short circuit to ground; measured resistances at motor in all 12 positions and they range between 215-235 ohms
- Spindle also moves smoothly when manually operated and does not wobble
- Stop button at bottom has no passage when not operated by spindle nose and passage when operated, so should work (but the KVA didn't even get that far.... I had to do it manually)

Does anyone here have an idea what it could be or what I could check again?

Can the motor control board have gotten one with the "water damage"? What must arrive there and go to engine out when you turn on the machine?

I'm desperate.... especially because I have now already invested so much dough in spare parts. Did not think it would be so complicated.

kaffeechris

August 06, 2023 08:43 pm

Expert

Group: Moderatoren

Member No.: 24425

Hello, thermal fuse.
Structure of a thermal fuse... Fuse solder which melts at the appropriate temperature, stamped on the fuse with. In various cases, the fuse solder only melts on, and at certain heat, the contact is broken.
Connect multimeter and measure the ohmic resistance, all the time, should this fall off, change thermal fuse, best both,as far as installed.

If it is not, then look again. perhaps someone in the circle of acquaintances has an identical KVA and can allow you to exchange the board for testing.

--------------------
Alles ist Wiederverwertbar, sogar diese Buchstaben.
Keine Anfragen oder Hilfe, über E-Mail.

struhs

August 07, 2023 01:21 am

Coffee drinker

Group: Mitglieder

Member No.: 67791

Hello @kaffeechris,

I have already measured the thermal fuses: both were between 100-120kOhm (room temperature). The box does not even come to heat up. Before "General malfunction" ;-(

I have already replaced the circuit board.

Thanks anyway and greetings!

kaffeechris

August 07, 2023 08:48 pm

Expert

Group: Moderatoren

Member No.: 24425

Hello, well it can be the reed contact gear, costs about 10,00€.
Have you checked the above limit switch? Motor for brew drive gets voltage?
1.PCB new, does not run.
2.Limit switch checked.
3.Drive motor checked.
4.thermal fuse on flow heater.
5.thermal fuse (round) on steam generator.
6. fuse on ulc pump.
Hope somewhere between point 4 to 6 could be a fault.

--------------------
Alles ist Wiederverwertbar, sogar diese Buchstaben.
Keine Anfragen oder Hilfe, über E-Mail.