Advanced search

KVA: Water hardness adjustment with water filter

Gast_Julian

December 07, 2019 06:22 pm

Unregistered

Hi,

Unfortunately I found only fragmentary information while googling and no really definite answer to my actual question.

I recently bought a DeLonghi KVA, the Magnifica S ECAM 22.110. Now it is possible to program a water hardness level in this machine running manual, which influences the amount of water passed through after which the machine requires decalcification. The machine also supports the installation of a water filter in the water tank.

Now I have installed such a filter, because we have quite hard water in Munich and I would prefer to play through the complete decalcification and cleaning program as rarely as possible. In any case, it should reduce the lime content of the water and thus also increase the intervals between decalcifications of the machine. But neither the instructions for the machine, nor the one that comes with the filter insert mentioned anything regarding the water hardness setting AFTER inserting a filter (or I'm blind). Can't be sure that I have to leave them the same as after the water test of the still unfiltered water? The machine does not seem to have a sensor for whether a filter is inserted or not. And the one water test strip that came with the machine is already used up.

In the net I have now only found generic statements about water filters in general, according to which these parts always reduce water to approx. 8°-10°dH (different statements found) regardless of the original hardness.

That would mean that I could lower my machine from water hardness 3 (14-21°dH, decalcification every 70 l) to 2 (7-14°dH, decalcification every 130 l) - will that work?

To me the numbers seem relatively high, if I roughly estimate what my consumption over time should be. Afterwards the machine will be in the office and I will pull one, at most two cups a day - less than one decalcification per year. Even if there were colleagues pulling you every now and then, that would mean a rather long interval. In addition to the amount of water passed through, are there any other recommended specifications such as decalcifying at least once every X weeks/months? The operating instructions do not mention anything about this, it is only required that you descale when the light comes on - according to the amount of water that has passed through.