Advanced search

De'LonghiECAM293.52.B:Factory settinggrinding degree6.5

unpacked: grind6.5?

Fidel

December 08, 2023 09:56 pm

Unregistered

Hello,

I had already returned the KVA DeLonghi ECAM 356.77.S Dinamica because I changed the grind incorrectly and my coffee tasted very sour afterwards. Because of this experience, I am afraid to change the grind.
Since yesterday I have a new De'Longhi ECAM293.52.B with me. Unpacked and everything looked "new". I opened the coffee container lid and was very surprised: the new KVA has a grind level (factory setting) of 6.5 (grind level option from 1 (very fine) to 7 (very coarse))! Also unbelievable: although the grind level is set to very coarse, the coffee tastes relatively strong (a little too bitter) and the temperature factory setting is too hot (tongue burnt, although at level 2 = medium) and the coffee puck is dry, firm and round.
So everything indicates that the coffee beans are ground very finely.
Questions:
1. How can it be that the grind setting is 6.5 and not 4.5 (as usual)?
2. Why is the coffee so strong and the puck so firm at such a coarse setting (almost the coarsest!)?
Could it be that the Malgrad knob was inserted incorrectly during assembly in Romania?
Sorry, but I'm afraid to change the grind (see above).

I changed the temperature and aroma to the lowest setting (i.e. 1) (grind unchanged at 6.5): Now coffee tastes normal and drinkable (hot enough and with a bitter note but no longer too bitter). Incidentally, the crema was almost 1 cm with ECAM 356.77.S and only about 5 mm with ECAM293.52.B.

Should I send the KVA back? Is this 'new' KVA a return?

Thanks for your help
MfG Fidel

Schlawi

December 09, 2023 10:42 am

Expert

Group: Mitglieder

Member No.: 14628

Where did you buy it?
The machines are normally set at the factory. And you can't set the knob incorrectly. The knob can only be set to one position.
You can reset the grinding degree. If you adjust it during grinding, nothing will happen.

December 09, 2023 03:56 pm

Unregistered

Thanks for the answer. Bought from a dealer on Ebay. Unfortunately the model is without display (so you can't see the statistics if the KVA has been used before). The machine is wrapped in foil and looks new on the outside. So if the KVA is a return and newly packaged, then it was made by De'Longhi itself.

"Normally the machines are set at the factory" ... that's the amazing thing: set "very coarse" at the factory and the result still tastes so bitter?
But since the crema is also not "thick" enough for a new KVA, I can only draw the following conclusion:

My strong suspicion: It was determined at the factory that this KVA boils much too hot (too hot even at the lowest temperature setting, puck dry and crema too thin, coffee bitter), so that the coffee does not taste much too bitter (and too clearly burnt), the grind was then set to almost the coarsest level (namely 6.5). Whether the KVA is new or returned doesn't matter, it's clear to me that this KVA isn't working properly: at the lowest temperature it should be warm rather than hot.

"You can reset the grind"
I changed the grind to 5.5? (factory setting was "coarse" 6.5)
Coffee tastes even more bitter now (at medium level 5.5)!

I'll wait another 2-3 days. Maybe with time (or more brews) the result will improve. If not, the KVA will be sent back. It's a pity this constant hassle with vending machines. When the "inspectors" discover an error, they try to cover it up by making adjustments instead of correcting the error.

December 09, 2023 04:04 pm

Unregistered

Thanks for the answer. Bought from a dealer on Ebay. Unfortunately the model is without display (so you can't see the statistics if the KVA has been used before). The machine is wrapped in foil and looks new on the outside. So if the KVA is a return and newly packaged, then it was made by De'Longhi itself.

"Normally the machines are set at the factory" ... that's the amazing thing: set "very coarse" at the factory and the result still tastes so bitter?
But since the crema is also not "thick" enough for a new KVA, I can only draw the following conclusion:

My strong suspicion: It was determined at the factory that this KVA boils much too hot (too hot even at the lowest temperature setting, puck dry and crema too thin, coffee bitter), so that the coffee does not taste much too bitter (and too clearly burnt), the grind was then set to almost the coarsest level (namely 6.5). Whether the KVA is new or returned doesn't matter, it's clear to me that this KVA isn't working properly: at the lowest temperature it should be warm rather than hot.

I'll wait another 2-3 days. Maybe with time (or more brews) the result will improve. If not, the KVA will be sent back. It's a pity this constant hassle with vending machines. When the "inspectors" discover an error, they try to cover it up by making adjustments instead of correcting the error.

Schlawi

December 09, 2023 04:35 pm

Expert

Group: Mitglieder

Member No.: 14628

What kind of coffee do you use?

Fidel

December 09, 2023 04:39 pm

Unregistered

Coffee beans:
Dallmayr Home Barista Caffé Crema Forte.

December 09, 2023 06:32 pm

Unregistered