Coffee tastes too thin

ESAM 4200, coffee not strong enough

ToasterGod

January 19, 2015 12:32 pm

Coffee drinker

Group: Mitglieder

Member No.: 26197

Hello everyone,

I found your forum while searching the internet and read some posts already now, hoping to optimize the taste of my coffee from an ESAM 4200.
Since there are many professionals on the road and I am an absolute layman in the field of fully automatic coffee machines, since I have only consumed filter coffee or pads from the Senseo so far, I hope that you have some useful tips for me, which do not let my coffee taste so thin anymore.

The device came into my possession via a family member, because it should actually be disposed of due to a defective heater. But the device has been repaired and has now landed quite cheaply with me.

As I said, so far I have mostly consumed filter coffee, for which we have mostly resorted to Markus Kaffee Exclusiv from ALDI. We are also used to quite strong coffee, because one or two guests from the family have already complained about the strength of our coffee laugh.gif .

Now I have the ESAM 4200 for a short time and since I have no big idea of such a thing, have and on the weekend a little test wanted, I informed myself in the circle of acquaintances times, which beans are consumed there in such a way. I was then recommended the Melitta Bella Crema, which I then simply bought.

After I have studied the instruction manual and have tested a little, my coffee unfortunately still seems a little thin. I have set the grinder to level 3 and the controller on the front of the machine to maximum. The filling quantity for cups I have adjusted at present to about 3/4, so that I get my big cup quite well filled when pulling from 2 cups.

>I am wondering whether it makes more sense to brew two cups, or whether double beans are also ground in the double cup. Since I have only recently started working with the machine and certainly still have to learn a few things, I hope for a few useful tips from you professionals to optimize my coffee.

Thank you in advance for your support!
Greß
ToasterGod

looser

January 19, 2015 12:54 pm

Expert

Member No.: 5600

With a 2 cup cover less beans are ground than with 2 1 cup covers of the same strength.

Stell a picture of half a Puk with scale. 2 cups of cover and highest strength.

--------------------
Nach vielen verschiedenen KVA habe ich jetzt meinen Seelenfrieden. WMF 800 :-)

www.DeMichaelLonghi.de

ToasterGod

January 19, 2015 02:21 pm

Coffee drinker

Thanks for the info!

image will come as soon as I get there, either today or tomorrow!

ToasterGod

January 20, 2015 09:22 am

Coffee drinker

Good morning,

here now comes the picture of the tab with 2 cups cover and maximum strength.
Hope you can see something because I took the picture with the mobile phone.

Greß
ToasterGod

Attached Image

looser

January 20, 2015 09:50 am

Expert

Too coarsely ground. Finer adjustment.
If this is around 20 mm, it fits.

We recommend cleaning the inside of the grinding mechanism on a used machine. There's a lot accumulating.

--------------------

www.DeMichaelLonghi.de

ToasterGod

January 20, 2015 10:46 am

Coffee drinker

The puk is about 20 mm thick, I'll try to fine-tune the grind.

Are there instructions how to clean the grinder of the machine in question?
After some searching I haven't found anything suitable how to do this!

looser

January 20, 2015 12:33 pm

Expert

You can find good pdf´s at Kaffee-Welt.net. There under Downloads, watch Delonghi.

--------------------

www.DeMichaelLonghi.de

ToasterGod

January 21, 2015 08:11 pm

Coffee drinker

Thanks for the tip with Kaffeewelt, I have now cleaned the grinder in the installed condition as described there in a manual. I probably should have kept my hands off it.

In the same test with 2 cups of filling and full strength, the ejected puk is only 10 mm high after my action. So I'm afraid I've done something wrong at some point. With the feathers and the balls I made sure that they were exactly in the holes.

Ideas what I might have done wrong?

looser

January 21, 2015 09:23 pm

Expert

Take out all the beans and make some covers. Ignore warning message. Beans back in. Should level off within the next 10 months.

--------------------

www.DeMichaelLonghi.de

CofCofCoffee

June 10, 2015 09:08 am

Coffee lover

Member No.: 16826

Had the same problem some time ago, but has also gradually settled down again now my coffee tastes great again biggrin.gif

--------------------
98 Kaffee, 99 Kaffee, 100 Kaffee....