Descaling fault

yilmaz74   

January 12, 2014 12:03 am

Coffee drinker

Group: Mitglieder

Member No.: 23197

Hello,

love forum members,

at my Miele fully automatic coffee machines 2 years old, the machine has been sent several times to Miele, as when descaling an error message constantly comes "empty drip tray". It's never full, but the device thinks it's full. At Miele, you could never tell anything. According to their statement, the cleaning runs without complaint. Strangely enough, never with me. Always the same mistake. Today I watched the process very closely.
First a lot of water flows over the cappucionator. Until then, everything's inconspicuous. As soon as he is ready with this procedure and the cleaning of the other pipes begins, the following happens. The device sprays water internally and the contacts are wetted so that the device thinks it is full.

If you put a splash guard (e.g. handkerchief) in front of the contacts, the process runs through. So something must be leaking internally. Unfortunately I don't know what to do and don't want to open the device.
Has anyone had similar experiences? And above all, it is normal that no water flows through the coffee nozzles during the cleaning process?

When the water is rinsed normally, it also flows through the coffee nozzles. Does anyone have an exploded view of the machine?

Tobi42

January 26, 2014 10:53 am

Coffee drinker

Member No.: 23376

Hello,
We have known this problem for several months. I first had a hunch that water was somehow being pulled up at the contacts. Therefore I tried to dry the contacts several times on the shell as well as in the device.
Maybe it's also the acid which changes the conductivity. Today, rinsing and drying the contacts on the shell has helped. Chance?

Greetings!

Pasha78

February 19, 2014 11:05 pm

Coffee drinker

Member No.: 18781

Hello together,

I also know this problem and had already posted a contribution here about a year ago. See here: /forums/...showtopic=14291

Nothing has changed so far and it just annoys!

Greß

Andreas

MieleTechy

May 01, 2014 06:17 am

Unregistered

Hello dear Miele users,

I am at home myself a user of a Miele CM 5200 and have a lot to do with such devices at work. These tips help with all devices of the series CM5.

If the problem occurs that during descaling again and again "empty drip tray" is indicated the solution is quite simple. Usually this message appears after the collecting tray has been emptied for the first time. In this case, a small amount of the descaling agent has run over the contacts. As already assumed here, the descaling agent is an electrolyte and has a higher conductivity than water. To solve the problem, simply rinse the contacts with clear (if possible lukewarm) water for 5-10 seconds, without drying the contacts.

The descaling program should then continue as normal.

The second possibility that this problem occurs is a contamination of the contacts with the coffee sludge that forms in the collection tray. In this case it is best to clean the collecting tray thoroughly before descaling. The corner with the contacts is the most important. If possible, clean this corner down to the smallest crack with an old toothbrush.
The sludge that forms in the collection tray when the coffee is being dispensed acts like a sponge and draws the liquid (water or decalcifying agent) to the contacts, thus creating a conductive connection.
This also helps if the message "Empty collection tray" appears during normal operation.

Not a general tip on decalcifying itself. It is very important to read the BDA (instruction manual) carefully before use. Many users have the problem that the decalcification hangs at 3 minutes or that it takes a very long time.
In this case too much water was added to the water tank at the beginning of the first decalcification cycle. The device has no idea how much water has been put into the water tank and it assumes that it is the 500ml specified by the manufacturer. If the decalcification is carried out according to BDA so with the 500ml in the first cycle then the time data the device outputs are also correct. If of course you get the idea more water helps more then the decalcification process takes just 3 times as long but the device does not show it.
Only as a note, a lot does not help much when decalcifying, on the contrary even. If the descaling agent is diluted too much, the efficiency is reduced and instead of dissolving the lime in the machine, it is only softened. As soon as the cleaning program is carried out or coffee is made, the lime is rinsed into the valves and the machine stops working.
And then only the customer service can do something.

Finally another info, it is correct that the descaling liquid does not run over the coffee outlet during the descaling process. The device is not defective or programmed incorrectly. The fact is that the brewing unit usually consists of a material which is not compatible with the acid and which starts to dissolve when it comes into contact with the decalcifying agent. However, you can be sure that the water system will come into contact with the descaling agent right down to the last corner and if it is carried out correctly you will also enjoy your Miele CM in the long run.

I always wish all users a good morning coffee...

Best regards MieleTechy

June 02, 2015 10:04 pm

Unregistered

Does anyone know the secret key combinations where you can see how many Tasen have already run down?

Gast_Andy

December 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Unregistered

.....after reading these valuable tips, I was able to run the decalcifying program on my Miele CM5200 without any problems.
By the way, it was the first decalcifying program, as the machine is brand new.
But what I noticed was that the machine has been booming and vibrating since the first coffee was brewed.
I have no idea whether this is normal for Miele. I can only draw comparisons with Krups, Jura, Bosch. Those were "normal" noises.
Has anyone had the same experience?
Greeting Andy

Ottl

December 30, 2015 02:17 am

Unregistered

Nope, same volume as always! ohmy.gif

March 06, 2016 05:40 pm

Unregistered

Thank you very much for the manual. I already thought that my CM5200 is defective.

Burghard Schulz   

October 19, 2018 11:57 am

Unregistered

QUOTE (MieleTechy @ Thursday, May 01, 2014) May 2014, 06:17 am)
Hello dear Miele users,

I am at home myself a user of a Miele CM 5200 and have a lot to do with such devices at work. These tips help with all devices of the series CM5.

If the problem occurs that during descaling again and again "empty drip tray" is indicated the solution is quite simple. Usually this message appears after the collecting tray has been emptied for the first time. In this case, a small amount of the descaling agent has run over the contacts. As already assumed here, the descaling agent is an electrolyte and has a higher conductivity than water. To solve the problem, simply rinse the contacts with clear (if possible lukewarm) water for 5-10 seconds, without drying the contacts.

The second possibility that this problem occurs is a contamination of the contacts with the coffee sludge that forms in the collection tray. In this case it is best to clean the collecting tray thoroughly before descaling. The corner with the contacts is the most important. If possible, clean this corner down to the smallest crack with an old toothbrush.
The sludge that forms in the collection tray when the coffee is being dispensed acts like a sponge and draws the liquid (water or decalcifying agent) to the contacts, thus creating a conductive connection.
This also helps if the message "Empty collection tray" appears during normal operation.

Not a general tip on decalcifying itself. It is very important to read the BDA (instruction manual) carefully before use. Many users have the problem that the decalcification hangs at 3 minutes or that it takes a very long time.
In this case too much water was added to the water tank at the beginning of the first decalcification cycle. The device has no idea how much water has been put into the water tank and it assumes that it is the 500ml specified by the manufacturer. If the decalcification is carried out according to BDA so with the 500ml in the first cycle then the time data the device outputs are also correct. If of course you get the idea more water helps more then the decalcification process takes just 3 times as long but the device does not show it.
Only as a note, a lot does not help much when decalcifying, on the contrary even. If the descaling agent is diluted too much, the efficiency is reduced and instead of dissolving the lime in the machine, it is only softened. As soon as the cleaning program is carried out or coffee is made, the lime is rinsed into the valves and the machine stops working.

Finally another info, it is correct that the descaling liquid does not run over the coffee outlet during the descaling process. The device is not defective or programmed incorrectly. The fact is that the brewing unit usually consists of a material which is not compatible with the acid and which starts to dissolve when it comes into contact with the decalcifying agent. However, you can be sure that the water system will come into contact with the decalcifying agent right down to the last corner and if it is carried out correctly, you will also enjoy your Miele CM for a long time to come.

>I always wish all users a good morning coffee...

Best regards MieleTechy

Super , had the same problem.
Thanks to you I was able to solve it. if it hadn't been for the fact that the decalcifying agent was the reason for the mistake, it wouldn't have happened by itself.
Thanks again

Gast_Christel

January 22, 2019 09:45 pm

Unregistered

A thousand thanks for the valuable tips, contacts of the drip tray washed lukewarm for 10 seconds, now the descaling is running again and the machine does not show in a tour, empty drip tray, would not have thought that it continues so easily. I am relieved and very grateful for the extremely helpful tip. I can only say THANK YOU:

Franz Kaiser   

December 03, 2020 10:06 am

Unregistered

QUOTE (Guest @ Tuesday, 02 June 2015, 22:04 hrs)
Does anyone know the secret key combinations where you can see how many tases have already run down?

Hello Miele Techy, thank you for the info, I had the solvent over the contacts (I have the machine for a long time, but she never had such dropouts). I have cleaned the contacts and the machine is already doing what it should. Thanks again, greetings Franz smile.gifsmile.gif
Little help, big effect

Sky11

October 02, 2021 12:31 pm

Coffee drinker

Member No.: 46027

Hi all,

We have a cm6300 and are also stuck in the descaling - "empty the saucepan" loop.
The flowmeter is smooth as well as the hoses clean.
Does the cm6300 drip tray have contacts as well? I can't find any and this is very clean now as well as the whole tray chute.
Or is there any others I can check dorr?

Gast_Jeff   

November 29, 2021 12:31 am

Unregistered

QUOTE (MieleTechy @ May 01, 2014 06:17 am)
Hello dear Miele users,

Finally another info, it is correct that the descaling liquid does not run over the coffee outlet during the descaling process. The device is not defective or programmed incorrectly. The fact is that the brewing unit usually consists of a material which is not compatible with the acid and which starts to dissolve when it comes into contact with the decalcifying agent. However, you can be sure that the water system will come into contact with the descaling agent right down to the last corner and if it is carried out correctly you will also enjoy your Miele CM in the long run.

I always wish all users a good morning coffee...

Best regards MieleTechy

Worked like a charm! Thanks for posting.

MK

June 21, 2022 03:32 pm

Unregistered

QUOTE (MieleTechy @ Thursday, 01 May 2014, 06:17)
Hello dear Miele users,

I am a user of a Miele CM 5200 at home and have to deal a lot with such devices at work. These tips will help with all appliances of the CM5 series.

If the problem occurs that "Empty drip tray" is displayed again and again during descaling, the solution is quite simple. Most of the time this message appears after the drip tray has been emptied for the first time. In this case, a small amount of descaling agent has run over the contacts. As already assumed here, the descaling agent is an electrolyte and has a higher conductivity than water. To solve the problem, simply rinse the contacts with clear (if possible lukewarm) water for 5-10 seconds, drying the contacts is not necessary.

The descaling program should then continue to run normally.

The second possibility that this problem occurs is contamination of the contacts with the coffee sludge that forms in the drip tray. In this case, it is best to clean the drip tray thoroughly before descaling. The corner with the contacts is the most important. If possible, clean this corner with an old toothbrush down to the smallest crevice.
The sludge that forms in the drip tray when coffee is drawn acts like a sponge and draws the liquid (water or descaling agent) right up to the contacts, thus creating a conductive connection.
This also helps if the message "Empty drip tray" appears during normal operation.

One more general tip about descaling itself. It is very important to read the BDA (operating instructions) carefully beforehand. Many users have the problem that the descaling hangs up at 3 minutes or that it takes a long time.
In this case, too much water was put into the water tank at the beginning of the first descaling cycle. The device has no idea how much water was put in the water tank and it assumes that it is the 500ml specified by the manufacturer. If the descaling is done strictly according to the BDA, i.e. with the 500ml in the first cycle, then the times given by the device are also correct. Of course, if you get the idea that more water helps more then the descaling process takes 3 times as long but the device does not show it.
Just as a note, much does not help much when descaling, on the contrary even. If the descaling agent is diluted too much, the performance is reduced and instead of dissolving the lime in the device, it is only softened. As soon as you run the cleaning program or make coffee, the limescale is flushed into the valves and the machine stops working.

Finally, one more piece of information, it is correct that the descaling liquid does not run over the coffee spout during the descaling process. The device has no defect or is incorrectly programmed. The fact is that the brewing unit is usually made of a material that is not compatible with the acid and will begin to dissolve when it comes into contact with the descaling agent in the appropriate amount. However, you can be sure that the water system comes into contact with the descaling agent in the last corner and if it is done correctly you will have a lot of fun with your Miele CM in the long run.

I wish all users always a good morning coffee....

Best regards MieleTechy

Thank you very much for this ingenious contribution that was exactly the solution to the problem to pay attention to the absolutely exact amount of descaling liquid then it works really excellent also with the CM 5200????????

OnemoreMeile

September 24, 2022 08:31 pm

Unregistered

Great information. I picked up a used CM5200 yesterday. It was clean outside, but very messy inside. After "thoroughly" cleaning everything using a toothbrush, it is now super clean.

I have read so much about this unit before purchasing. However, missed that part that said to only use .5L in the water tank.

I ran the descaling process with too much water and did not use a tablet. I thought because I didnt use a tablet, it was sensing not being cleaned and tried to unplug the unit 3 times with not luck until I read the part about he water.

It was stuck in the 3 minute mode with about .25L of water. I did not take the tank out, but only added .25L of water and it kicked the read 2 minutes remaining. It said to add more water, so I did, just enough for it to turn on then it read 1 minute remaining.

More water again, then it finished its cycle.

First cup of coffee and express were perfect!!!

Thank you and love this machine.