Jura Impressa Scala Vanilla

appraisal

kanute-sinzig

August 20, 2010 09:31 am

Coffee drinker

Group: Mitglieder

Member No.: 9342

Hello,

On the internet a used Jura Impressa Scala Vanilla is offered for 240 €. Who has experience with this machine and can tell me if it would be recommendable to buy it?

L.G. kanute-sinzig

numberonedefender

August 20, 2010 10:26 am

Expert

Member No.: 2650

I think the price is inappropriate for a Scala (which should be over 10 years old), even if it is revised.
The Scala is in principle not a bad device, but technically as well as optically a bit outdated...

--------------------
Grüße, Manuel

Jura ENA Micro 9 (Küche)
Jura xF50 (Büro)
wechselnde Besetzung in der Werkstatt...
P.S.: Support gibt's im Forum, nicht per PN o.ä.

Cherry79

September 28, 2010 03:23 pm

Coffee drinker

Member No.: 5776

What does "technically obsolete" mean? Ok, it doesn't have all the "great" automatic functions (which I like to do without, for example), but the brewing group itself hasn't changed that much?

Done that: 240 for a Scala is still a bit much. I paid about 200 Eu for mine 3 years ago (that was the usual ebay price at that time). You may also need to bring some screwdriver talent. I don't know how newer Juras are, but my Scala needed some use of screwdrivers, spare parts + soldering iron (heating cartridge had to be replaced, new gasket set needed, then the pawls had to be reshaped, so that the brewing group doesn't run backwards, grinder got new stones, the reed for the water/steam rotary switch was defective and had to be replaced...).

Why I'm glad that I have an old Scala: you can tinker with the machine unrestrained. With a new Jura I would already have reservations to retrofit a potentiometer for the setting of the coffee temperature, or to simply break away the limitations with the grinder adjustment, with the ollen Scala loss keeps itself (if the tinkering causes any damage) within limits :-)

greetings

numberonedefender

September 28, 2010 05:26 pm

Expert

Member No.: 2650

@ cherry79: The brewing group hasn't changed too much indeed, but the old heating cartridge, for example, really isn't the bomb anymore (was never really good, if we're honest...). When I compare a Scala (have a 12 year old Scala Office running in my office, which I really like...) with a Jura E10 (also not too new, BJ 05-08), for example, with which I currently prefer to supply my dear colleagues: The almost indestructible thermoblock is built in, a comparatively quiet grinder, a pump with diaphragm regulator (sometimes even the really quiet CP4), etc.
The whole thing doesn't cost more with the new Autocappuccinatore than the Scala, which was the subject of the first post; therefore my quiet criticism of the price and age of the machine...

By the way, the newer Jura models are also very robust and handicraft-friendly, as nothing breaks off so easily and all parts are easily accessible.

--------------------
Grüße, Manuel

Jura ENA Micro 9 (Küche)
Jura xF50 (Büro)
wechselnde Besetzung in der Werkstatt...
P.S.: Support gibt's im Forum, nicht per PN o.ä.