Advanced search

Krups EA89*

Running time for the grinder adjustable?

Gast_Alois

June 04, 2021 06:04 pm

Unregistered

Hello everyone, I have often read valuable tips here, but now need specific help. In our town there is a Repair Cafe initiative (currently "to go" of course).
Currently I have a Krups EA89* on the workbench, which had a massive limescale problem.
The cleaning tablets (third party brand, deliberately chopped up) were stuck in the chute. I removed the plunger and soaked it in descaler overnight.
Coffee brewing now works again, but I have the additional problem of too much coffee being ground, so that for every 180ml of oats, about 1-2 teaspoons of excess end up in the drip tray. The Mahlwark runs at this setting about 15 seconds.
What is going wrong here, or how can I adjust the run time?

Thanks in advance!

Gast_Alois

June 08, 2021 10:03 pm

Unregistered

Hello again,

I have now looked at the clock and measured that the grinder runs 20Sec (button "LongCoffee" without extra "Dark". So I get too much powder for the cylinder.

Does anyone have this machine and can say how long the mill runs with him?

Does anyone know how I reset this machine to factory settings?

Gast_Alois

June 10, 2021 09:38 pm

Unregistered

According to Krups customer service, there is no way to reset this machine to factory settings.

Regarding grinding time, the part seems to be intelligent enough to determine how far it could push the piston into the cylinder. If the piston can be pressed in too deep, the running time for the next grinding will increase. Because I have run my tests without beans, the time has become longer and longer.
With beans, the machine has recalibrated within only 4 pulls.
The mill now runs about 8sec.

Maybe the info is helpful for someone else

Gast_HaWe

March 12, 2023 07:28 pm

Unregistered

The observation is correct. When the piston is pressed in deeper, the grinding time increases the next time. The times are derived from the water flow rate of the flowmeter. The deeper the piston is pressed in, the more water must be pumped into the pressure piston, and the longer the impeller runs in the flowmeter.
If the piston is pressed in too deeply, the control counteracts this by increasing the amount of ground coffee. This brings the measured revolutions of the flowmeter back into line with the grinding time.
If the grinding time is in the region of 25-30 seconds, there may be a defect or blockage in the grinder.
Testing without coffee beans is only possible with a Puk made of heat-resistant plastic or aluminum about 13mm high.
This must be placed in the brewing chamber by hand with the coffee bean compartment removed.
Flowmeter and grinder runtime are a control loop and adjust automatically.

Vivien

January 06, 2024 07:28 pm

Unregistered

Hello,
I've had very clear coffee for some time now.
My EA89 is descaled every time the machine calls for it. No longer under warranty, I've dismantled it and I don't have the impression that anything in the pipe is blocked.
I've noticed that when I clean the coffee (tablet), the water only comes out at the very beginning of the cycle (+/- 2cL), and then not at all with each push of the pump as was the case with the screen. Everything ends up in the drip tray.
Has anyone ever dealt with this problem?
Thank you for your help and good evening.